Published On: Sat, Jul 8th, 2017

Pak again violates ceasefire in J&K’s Poonch, two civilians killed

Jammu: In a fresh ceasefire violation by the Pakistan Army along the line of control (LoC) in J&K’s Poonch sector on Saturday, two civilians were killed and two others injured.

Our forces are responded to unprovoked Pak aggression in a befitting manner

According to an official, Pakistani troops shelled and fired along the LoC in Gulpur area of Poonch district.

He said that the victims comprised an off-duty soldier and his wife. The couple’s two children were injured when a shell fired from across the border hit their house on the LoC in Gulpur area, said a police official.

Defence Ministry spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Manish Mehta said that the firing by the Pakistan Army started from 6.30 am and was still on. “Our forces are responded to unprovoked Pak aggression in a befitting manner,” he said.

On the other hand, three soldiers were injured on Saturday when terrorists fired at an army petrol party in Bandipora district.

Immediately after the incident, the security forces cordoned off the area and launched an intensive search operation to trace the terrorists responsible for the attack.

Meanwhile, authorities have imposed curfew at many places and suspended the Amarnath Yatra in the Kashmir Valley to ward off violence on the death anniversary of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani on Saturday.

Curfew was imposed in areas under the jurisdiction of five police stations — Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, MR Gunj and Safa Kadal — in old city Srinagar.

Curfew has also been imposed in Tral town of Pulwama district, the native town of Burhan, who was killed in a gunfight with security forces in Kokernag area of Anantnag district last year.

Restrictions have also been imposed in Anantnag, Shopian, Pulwama, Kulgam, Baramulla, Sopore and some other towns to prevent separatist called protest.

In uptown areas of Srinagar and other places in the valley where restrictions were not imposed, shops, public transport and other businesses remained closed and very little private transport was seen on the roads.

The only movement on these roads was that of the security forces maintaining vigil.

Lt General D Anbu, the GOC-n-C of Northern Command, and Lt General JS Sandhu, Corps Commander of Srinagar based Chinar Corps, on Friday visited south Kashmir areas to review security situation.

No pilgrim was allowed to move towards the valley from Jammu on Saturday as authorities said the ongoing Amarnath Yatra has been suspended for the day.

Internet services on both mobile phones and fixed landline broadband connection also remain suspended for the second day on Saturday.

Authorities said this was done to prevent spread of malicious propaganda by anti-national elements on social networking sites.

Given the massive unrest triggered last year due to Wani’s killing, authorities have beefed up security to ensure that situation remains under control.

At least 94 civilian protesters were killed and over 200 lost vision partially or completely due to pellets fired by the security forces to control unruly mobs during the 2016 unrest.

The unrest lasted for 53 days during which normal life, businesses, tourism and education remained paralysed in the valley.

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com