Published On: Wed, Aug 23rd, 2017

After 9 years, Malegaon blast accused Purohit walks out of jail

Raigad (Maharashtra): After remaining in jail for nine years, Lt Col Prasad Srikant Purohit — one of the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast — walked out of the Taloja prison here on Wednesday.

Purohit was escorted by an army team as he stepped out of the prison

He was granted bail by the Supreme Court on Monday. Purohit is accused of being a part of the conspiracy hatched for carrying out the September 29, 2008 blast in Malegaon, a Muslim-dominated town in Nashik district.

Purohit had moved India’s top court after a Bombay High Court order dismissed his bail plea. He was arrested in 2008. He told the SC that he was acting as an army mole and was not involved in terrorist activity.

During a hearing last week, senior advocate Harish Salve, appearing for Purohit, said he has been in jail for the past nine years but charges have still not been framed against him.

Salve added that a charge against Purohit, under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), has already been dropped and therefore he is entitled to getting interim bail. A special MCOCA court had earlier ruled that the Anti-Terrorism Squad had wrongly applied this law against Purohit and 10 others.

Purohit was escorted by an army team as he stepped out of the prison and left for an army unit in Mumbai.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com