Published On: Fri, Aug 4th, 2017

Pakistan has increased attempts to push terrorists into J&K: Defence Minister

New Delhi: Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said on Friday that Pakistan has increased attempts to push terrorists into Jammu and Kashmir through the border but there is a high number of casualties on their side.

Pakistan has increased efforts of infiltration

He said this while replying in the Lok Sabha during the question hour and said, “Pakistan has increased efforts of infiltration.”

Jaitley said that the Indian Army has “domination and impact” along the western border and all steps have been taken to check infiltration from across the border.

The defence minister said that due to the increased vigil by the security forces, many infiltration attempts have been foiled and infiltrators neutralised and added, “there is record high in the casualties on the other side.”

There have been 285 incidents of ceasefire violation so far this year through the LoC compared to 228 such incidents in the entire 2016 along the LoC in which eight people had lost their lives, Jaitley said.

Replying to another question, the minister said the Army has constructed an anti-infiltration obstacle system (AIOS) along the Line of Control and International Border in Jammu and Kashmir, under its operational control.

Radars, sensors and thermal imagers along with surveillance have been incorporated on this fence to detect and intercept infiltration by terrorists.

The AIOS is further strengthened by deployment of troops and construction of defence works based on threat perception for an effective multi-tiered counter-infiltration grid.

ON the other hand minister state for defence, Subhash Bhamre informed the Lok Sabha that there have been a total of 10 attacks on army establishments in Jammu and Kashmir, resulting in the deaths of 38 soldiers.

In a written reply, Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre said there were no attacks on army bases outside Jammu and Kashmir.

According to the reply, there were two attacks on army camps in the state in 2014, two in 2015, five in 2016, and one in 2017.

The highest number of casualties was in 2016, when 26 soldiers were killed. Nineteen personnel died in the Uri terror attack while seven others were killed in an attack in Nagrota in November.

In 2014, nine soldiers were killed in attack on Army establishments, and this year, there have been three casualties.

The minister said “broad guidelines” were issued for security of defence installations, and the defence services have taken a “number of actions including risk categorisation of military bases; appraisal and upgradation of intelligence gathering capabilities; strengthening and streamlining of the response mechanism; unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs); and periodic security audit of all military installations”.

“Allout efforts, in conjunction with other intelligence agencies, are made to gather maximum intelligence inputs which are expeditiously shared with the concerned formations and units,” the Minister added.

 

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com