Published On: Mon, Aug 21st, 2017

Supreme Court grants bail to Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday granted bail to Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit in the 2008 Malegaon blast case in which seven people were killed.

He told the court that he has been in jail for the past nine years and was entitled to bail

A bench of Justice RK Agrawal and Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre granted conditional bail to Purohit.

He told the court that he has been in jail for the past nine years and was entitled to bail.

Senior advocate Harish Salve, appearing for Purohit has challenged the April 25 Bombay High Court order which granted bail to another accused, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, but rejected his plea.

Purohit had told the apex court that till date charges have not been framed against him while those under the MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act) have already been dropped. A special MCOCA court had earlier ruled that the Anti-Terrorism Squad had wrongly applied this law against Purohit and 10 others.

Additional Solicitor General Maninder Singh, appearing for the National Investigation Agency (NIA), said there was evidence against Purohit that would help in framing a charge.

At least seven persons were killed in the explosion in Malegaon in Nashik district of northern Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.

The investigating agencies had earlier allegedly attributed the blast to right-wing group Abhinav Bharat.

 

 

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com